12 Part Yoga Class Structure: For Yoga Teachers
If you like the idea of structuring your yoga lesson plans, you may like the 12 part yoga class formula.
Come up with a class structure for your yoga classes.
Benefits of structuring your yoga classes:
- Saves time when planning your classes
- Reduces the stress of planning
- Allows creativity to flourish (because you’re not wasting time structuring)
Coming up with a structure for a yoga class often makes new yoga teachers want to pull every last strand of hair out. It’s as if the newbie teacher is looking for the holy grail of yoga lesson planning. Unfortunately that grail doesn’t exist. There is no right or wrong way to structure a class.
It’s time to relax.
It’s time to accept.
It’s time to banish the destructive thought of their being a ‘perfect plan’.
There is no such thing as a perfect plan. There is, however, a formula…a traditional yoga class structure. You can either follow the traditional sequence verbatim, or use as a guide and tweak it to suit your personality.
Remember, there’s no right way of structuring a yoga class.
This is just a guide for you to edit and come up with your own. For example, you may only have 5-parts to your “yoga class planning formula”. You don’t have to stick to the formula, it can evolve over time.
- Registration – Students sign in
- Notices – Tell students about upcoming yoga days, weekends, etc
- Handouts – Give students handouts
- Centring – Awareness of breath
- Warm up Postures
- Seated Postures
- Standing Postures
- Optional – Partner Work and/or Inversions
- Optional – Pranayama and/or Meditation
- Optional – Reading from the Gita, Sutras, etc
- Namaste – Everyone says Namaste aloud
Yoga Teacher Lesson Plan Kit
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- 1001 Yoga Class Planning Tips & Handouts For Yoga Teachers - July 15, 2018
- Yoga Anatomy 101: A Crash Course For Yoga Teachers - June 6, 2018
- Marketing Tactics For Newbie Yoga Teachers - April 28, 2018
- A Sticky Note Guide To Being A Yoga Teacher: Beware The Treacherous Yoga Teacher Training Canyon - March 22, 2018
- How To End Your Yoga Class On Time Every Time: My Easy Peasy Formula Revealed - January 29, 2018