Take Your Lesson Planning Skills To The Next Level: Write Compelling Aims & Objectives
Aims = General Goals
Objectives = Specific Goals
- Aims are general statements of intent.
- Aims indicate the overall goals of the session.
- Aims are written from the yoga teacher’s perspective
- Aims state what the course will try to provide.
- Aims give us a path to follow & a destination to hit.
- Aims help your students become better students.
- Aims explain your intentions to your students.
- Aims help keep students coming back to your class
- Aims enable teachers to think deliberately about student progress.
Examples of AIM words that can be used:
Examples of AIM phrases:
|Give practical experience||Develop the ability||Foster knowledge & understanding||Develop the ability to read & analyse||Give a grounding|
|Provide students with the necessary knowledge & skills to be able to||Provide a range of opportunities||Encourage independence||Demonstrate how to|
- Objectives increase clarity.
- Objectives help to keep track of learning outcomes for your students.
- Objectives contribute to the achievement of the larger goals (AIMS).
- Objectives give your yoga class a clearly defined target.
- Objectives keep teachers inspired because it focuses attention on the BIGGER PICTURE.
Objectives words include:
Become aware of
Learning objectives start with this phrase:
By the end of the session the student will be able to…
Type of objective:
By the end of the session the student will be able to name two postures in Sanskrit.
By the end of the session the student will be able to indicate changes they can make to their diet.
By the end of the session the student will be able to practice pigeon pose safely.
Objectives can be fulfilled:
- in a single yoga class
- over a 6 or 10 week course
- over a year or more
Teaching methods that can help you attain your Objectives:
Yoga Genie Lesson Planner
The Yoga Genie Lesson Planner has 5000+ yoga lesson plans that you can copy, edit and download.
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- Yoga Therapy: Free Yoga Lesson Plan For Lower Back Pain - December 8, 2018
- Yoga Quote: Yoga Is A Light (B.K.S. Iyengar) - December 4, 2018
- Yoga Quote: Presence - December 2, 2018
- Yoga Quote: Every Struggle Is Like Mud - December 2, 2018
- Yoga Quote: You Cannot Do Yoga - December 1, 2018