Strengthens: Lower back
Stretches: Vertebral column, Hip, Shoulder
Prep poses: Baddha Koṇāsana, Virasana, Vriksasana, Trikonasana, Virabhadrasana II, Supta Padangusthasana
Follow-up poses: Paschimottanasana, Baddha Koṇāsana
Pose type: Seated, Hip opener, Twist
Begin seated on the mat with legs extended in front of you, arms resting at your sides. This is Staff Pose (Dandasana).
Shift weight to right buttock.
Bend knees and bring legs to left.
Rest legs on mat and place left inner ankle in arch of right foot.
Inhale, lengthen spine.
Exhale, twist upper torso to right.
Place right hand on mat behind you.
Rest left hand on outer right thigh.
Turn left palm up.
Press down through left sit bone.
If left hip is lifting off mat, place a folded blanket beneath right sit bone to re-gain balance.
Draw shoulder blades down back and in toward back ribs. There will be a slight backbend in upper back, but don’t force it.
Twist around spine from tailbone to crown of head.
On each inhalation, lengthen spine.
On each exhalation, twist deeper.
Turn head to gaze over right shoulder.
Hold for up to one minute.
To release, exhale and unwind torso.
Come back to centre and extend both legs in front of you in Staff Pose.
Repeat twist for the same length of time on opposite side.
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- 1001 Yoga Class Planning Tips & Handouts For Yoga Teachers - July 15, 2018
- Yoga Anatomy 101: A Crash Course For Yoga Teachers - June 6, 2018
- Marketing Tactics For Newbie Yoga Teachers - April 28, 2018
- A Sticky Note Guide To Being A Yoga Teacher: Beware The Treacherous Yoga Teacher Training Canyon - March 22, 2018
- How To End Your Yoga Class On Time Every Time: My Easy Peasy Formula Revealed - January 29, 2018