Yoga Lesson Planning Clinic
How To Teach Dancer Pose
Teach the Sanskrit
Teach your students the sanksrit by breaking it down into bite sized morsels.
nata = dancer
raja = king
asana = posture
Your student’s may like to know that “nataranjasana” is one of the names given to the Hindu God Shiva in his form as the cosmic dancer.
Ask your students to learn the Sanskrit by getting them to repeat it as a mantra for 5 minutes. Another way to remember nataranjasana is to ask your students to imagine NATERring to a girl called ANJela while in Dancer Pose.
Teach the benefits
Teach your students the benefits…
- Develops concentration & balance
- Tones & lengthens leg/hip muscles
- Stimulates a full range of motion in the shoulders
- Releases foot tension
- Opens chest
- Creates space for the breath
- Strengthens spine & leg
- Stretches thighs & shoulders
Teach the precautions
- Low blood pressure
Teach the preparatory posture
One Legged King Pigeon Pose (Eka Pada Rajakapotasana) is a great pose to prepare for Lord Of The Dancer Pose.
Teach the posture
come Into Mountain Pose
Find a point to gaze at (eye level or on floor)
Shift weight onto right leg.
Inhale. Bring left leg backward.
Take hold of ankle or foot with hand of same side.
Inhale. Extend the arm of opposite side up from shoulder.
Feel energy move through fingertips.
Hold for several breaths.
Lengthen arm/torso up and forward while the opposite leg lengthens back and up.
Breathe into the stretch on inhalation
Relax on exhalation.
Bring torso back to centre.
Stand in Mountain.
Teach the modifications
- If quads or shoulders are tight bring a strap around foot and hold with hand
- If coming forward is difficult only come part way forward into the pose
Teach the variations
If a student isn’t able to do this posture (or if you have advanced students), give them a variation.
Use both hands to catch the foot that has been extended into the air. One hand catches the inner end of foot while the other hand clasps the outer end.
This posture is perfect for partner yoga.
Use a wall to support you.
Teach the counter
To release the strain on the spine after the lord of the dance pose perform “Half Forwardbend” (ardha uttanasana).
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- 43 Meditations In One Yoga Class Handout: Free PDF Download - October 10, 2017
- Free Downloadable Caterpillar To Butterfly Themed Yoga Class Plan (PDF) - October 8, 2017
- Free Downloadable Sun Moon Themed Yoga Class Plan (PDF) - September 26, 2017
- Free Downloadable Sun Salutations Chair Yoga Lesson Plan (PDF) - September 12, 2017
- Free Downloadable Yoga for Cyclists Lesson Plan (1 of 3) - August 18, 2017