Yoga Lesson Planning Tip
4 Neat Tricks To Remember Your Student’s Names
Do you know the sweetest word for 99% of people? It’s not FREE. It’s their name. Do whatever it takes to remember your students by name. I have a truly terrible memory and when I first started teaching, I could hardly remember a single name. It was very embarrassing.
The 4 Neat Tricks
Sign In Sheet
I have a Sign in Sheet on the table as they come through the door. Everyone has to put a tick by their names or write their name if they are a new student. After every class I look at the Sign in Sheet and look at all names. I then visualise the person while looking at their name.
I take a juggling ball (very soft ball) with me and play the Introduce Yourself Game. I throw the ball to the person closest to me on my right and ask him or her to say their name. The person then throws the ball back to me. I then throw the ball the next person. I keep doing this until everyone says their name. It’s a good laugh and is a great Ice Breaker. I probably do play the Introduce Yourself Game every month or two.
Before entering the venue for my class, I’ll get my folder out and look at the names on my Sign in Sheet. I will visualise the person’s face and see myself saying, “Hi Jo.”
When a new student arrives at my class and says, “My name is Susan”, I immediately create a bizarre image in my mind that will trigger each time I see her. For example, I imagine Susan SUEING me for not having enough green mats in my class. I visualise myself and her in court with her pointing an accusing finger at me. The more bizarre you can make the association, the more chance you have of remembering his or her name.
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- Yoga Anatomy 101: A Crash Course For Yoga Teachers - June 6, 2018
- Marketing Tactics For Newbie Yoga Teachers - April 28, 2018
- A Sticky Note Guide To Being A Yoga Teacher: Beware The Treacherous Yoga Teacher Training Canyon - March 22, 2018
- How To End Your Yoga Class On Time Every Time: My Easy Peasy Formula Revealed - January 29, 2018
- Free Yoga Therapy Lesson Plan 2 of 6: Arthritic Spine Yoga Lesson Plan - January 29, 2018