How To Teach Dandasana (Staff Pose)…The Foundation Of All Seated Yoga Poses
Teach The Philosophy
Explain to your students the philosophy behind dandasana.
You could say something like:
“Dandasana is the foundation of all seated yoga poses. It’s often used as a resting or preparatory pose. Though don’t be fooled! It is one of those simple looking asanas that looks easy, but if you do it correctly, is one of the most challenging asanas you’ll come across. While you’re in the pose, imagine your spine as a staff, rooted firmly in the earth.”
Teach The Benefits
You don’t have to give them all.
- Improve posture
- Teaches you to sit with correct posture
- Improves body alignment
- Strengthens back muscles
- Lengthens spine
- Stretches spine
- Stretches shoulders
- Stretches chest
- Stretches hamstrings
- Prevents back and hip injuries
- Helps creates body awareness
Teach Staff Pose
Here are some quick teaching tips…
- Keep thighs as flat on the floor as possible.
- Modification: Sit with your back against a wall for straight posture.
- Warm up leg muscles by pressing heels into the floor (avoid locking knees).
- Firm the thighs.
- Rotate thighs gently towards each other.
- Keep feet flexed.
- Imagine your spine as a staff, rooted firmly in the earth.
- Feel there is a 1 ton weight on your thighs (pin them down)
- To lengthen & straighten spine, feel crown of head floating to the ceiling.
Video tutorial of Staff Pose
Sit with legs crossed.
Elongate through spine.
Press into heels.
Toes point towards face.
Palms on tops of thighs (help draw thighs down).
Tops of thighs draw in to engage legs.
Lift chest up (open heart).
Draw belly button towards spine.
Give A Counter Pose
A good counter pose is Upward Facing Plank.
Get The Yoga Teacher Lesson Plan Kit
OK. You got me. That’s not one of the steps. But I thought you might want to save a whole lot of time planning your yoga lessons with the Drag & Drop Yoga Genie Lesson Planner.
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- 1001 Yoga Class Planning Tips & Handouts For Yoga Teachers - July 15, 2018
- Yoga Anatomy 101: A Crash Course For Yoga Teachers - June 6, 2018
- Marketing Tactics For Newbie Yoga Teachers - April 28, 2018
- A Sticky Note Guide To Being A Yoga Teacher: Beware The Treacherous Yoga Teacher Training Canyon - March 22, 2018
- How To End Your Yoga Class On Time Every Time: My Easy Peasy Formula Revealed - January 29, 2018