How To Teach Plough Pose (Halasana)
Teach The Benefits
- Calms nervous system
- Stimulates abdominal organs & thyroid gland
- Stretches shoulders & spine
- Helps relieve symptoms of menopause
- Reduces stress & fatigue
- Therapeutic for backache
- Therapeutic for headache
- Therapeutic for infertility
- Therapeutic for insomnia
- Therapeutic for sinusitis
Teach The Sanskrit
Halasana = plough pose
Hala = plough
Asana = pose
To remember Halasana imagine you’ve just taught a yoga class, but your car has broken down on the way home. So, you hail a cab (sounds like Hala) and for the cabbie’s tip you teach him/her plough pose.
Teach A Preparation Pose
Prep Pose #1: Shoulderstand
1) Begin in Shoulderstand.
2) Exhale as you lower your right leg toward the floor behind your head.
3) Inhale as you raise your right leg.
4) Repeat this exercise for your left leg.
5) Exhale as you lower both legs at the same time to move into Plough Pose.
Prep Pose #2: Spinal Rocking
1) Do some spinal rocking.
2) Optional: Move from Spinal Rocking into Plow Pose.
1) From supported shoulder-stand, exhale & bend from hip joints to slowly lower your toes to floor beyond your head. As much as possible, keep torso perpendicular to floor & legs fully extended.
2) With toes on floor, lift top thighs & tailbone toward ceiling & draw inner groins deep into pelvis. Imagine your torso is hanging from the height of your groins. Continue to draw chin away from sternum & soften throat.
3) Continue to press hands against the back, pushing back up toward the ceiling as you press the backs of upper arms down. Or release hands away from back & stretch arms out behind you. Clasp hands & press arms actively down as you lift the thighs toward ceiling.
4) Stay for 1 to 5 minutes.
5) To exit bring hands onto back, lift back into supported shoulder-stand with an exhalation, then roll down onto back, or simply roll out of the pose on an exhalation.
Click here for a video tutorial of plough pose.
Teach A Few Variations
Here are some images of me experimenting with plough pose….
Give A Counter Pose
Ask your students to perform a counter pose that stretches their spine in the opposite direction, such as Fish Pose.
Get The Yoga Teacher Lesson Plan Kit
Save a whole lot of time planning your yoga lessons with the Drag & Drop Yoga Genie Lesson Planner.
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- 1001 Yoga Class Planning Tips & Handouts For Yoga Teachers - July 15, 2018
- Yoga Anatomy 101: A Crash Course For Yoga Teachers - June 6, 2018
- Marketing Tactics For Newbie Yoga Teachers - April 28, 2018
- A Sticky Note Guide To Being A Yoga Teacher: Beware The Treacherous Yoga Teacher Training Canyon - March 22, 2018
- How To End Your Yoga Class On Time Every Time: My Easy Peasy Formula Revealed - January 29, 2018