Using imagery words to describe yoga postures will make your classes a lot more enjoyable and interesting for your students. Below are 25 imagery phrases for a yoga class. Use them to engage and inspire your students.
Image a large balloon under your bottom as you ascend from (e.g. chair pose). Feel light.
Relax and let your bones find their own way home.
Wear a heavy chain mail cape and let your shoulders surrender.
Empty your mind into your exhalation.
Any hip opening pose
Imagine your pelvis (e.g. in Pigeon Pose) becoming a fan that opens.
Imagine your feet growing bigger and bigger with each exhalation.
Opening Feet & Toes
When you open your feet and toes feel as if they are a flower opening.
Feel the individual vertebrae saying goodbye to each other.
Imagine becoming the lake.
Observe the tension melting like butter.
Think of your diaphragm as a parachute that deflates on inhalation.
As you breathe out picture the air leaving your lungs.
Observe your legs becoming two heavy pillars.
Think of attention as if is a puppy that wants to run ahead of you.
Tell your puppy mind to sit and become aware of the moment.
Mountain (any standing poses)
Imagine your feet growing roots like a tree.
Imagine sand pouring out of the knees in the same plane as the toes (e.g.chair pose).
Sit bones sinking to the earth.
Scapulas sliding down your back as you raise your arms.
As you breathe in, picture your lungs receiving the air with a smile.
Think of spine moving like a snake, rippling up/down the spine.
Kneecaps sliding forwards like a bar of wet soap.
Imagine the breath spiralling up your spine like a mini tornado.
Imagine a golden thread pulling you up towards the ceiling.
Lift your arms like a train barrier at a crossing.
Yoga Teacher Lesson Plan Kit
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- Marketing Tactics For Newbie Yoga Teachers - April 28, 2018
- A Sticky Note Guide To Being A Yoga Teacher: Beware The Treacherous Yoga Teacher Training Canyon - March 22, 2018
- How To End Your Yoga Class On Time Every Time: My Easy Peasy Formula Revealed - January 29, 2018
- Free Yoga Therapy Lesson Plan 2 of 6: Arthritic Spine Yoga Lesson Plan - January 29, 2018
- Free Yoga Therapy Lesson Plan 1 of 6: Opening Upper Back, Neck & Shoulders - January 29, 2018