Intense Side Stretch Pose
1) Stand in Mountain. With exhalation step feet out wide. Rest hands on hips. Turn left foot in 45 degrees to right, right foot out to right 90 degrees. Align right heel with left heel. Firm thighs, turn right thigh outward so centre of right knee cap is in line with centre of right ankle.
2) Exhale, rotate torso to right, squaring front of pelvis with front edge of mat. Press outer thighs inward as if squeezing a block between your thighs.
3) With an exhalation lean torso forward from groins over right leg. Stop when torso is parallel to floor. Press fingertips to floor on either side of right foot.
4) Press base of big toe and inner heel of front foot firmly into floor.
5) Hold torso and head parallel to floor for a few breaths. Bring front torso closer to top of thigh. Hold.
6) Come up with an inhalation by pressing actively through back heel.
7) Repeat on left side.
- Calms the brain
- Stretches the spine
- Stretches the shoulders
- Stretches the wrists
- Stretches the hips
- Stretches the hamstrings
- Strengthens the legs
- Stimulates the abdominal organs
- Improves posture and sense of balance
- Back injury
- High blood pressure