1001 FREE Yoga Class Planning Tips And Downloadable Class Handouts…Plus My 5 Step Formula For Creating A Memorable Yoga Class Plan
I hope you’re enjoying the 1001 free yoga class planning tips, downloadable yoga class plans, and yoga class handouts on my site. I’ve spent hundreds of hours since 2010 adding them to this site so that my fellow yoga teachers can access them for free.
I recently got an email from one of our drag & drop yoga genie lesson planner members asking me this question…
“How do you go about creating memorable yoga class plans?”
Below is the blog post I created for her.
It has my 5 step formula for creating a memorable yoga class plan. And includes links to most of the 1001 lesson planning tips on this site.
5 Step Yoga Class Planning Formula
- Step 1: One Yoga Lesson Plan
- Step 2: Yoga Class Themes
- Step 3: 101 Yoga Lesson Planning Ideas
- Step 4: Yoga Lesson Planner
- Step 5: 1001 Yoga Lesson Planning Tips
Step 1: One Yoga Lesson Plan
Create ONE yoga lesson plan
The biggest mistake a newbie yoga teacher makes is to create a new yoga lesson plan for each yoga class.
I used to do it. Why? Because I thought I was over-delivering value. Because I thought I was being a fabulous yoga teacher.
But boy, was I wrong!
And here’s why I was so wrong…
It takes too much time to create a new yoga lesson plan for each class, and your students won’t like it. That’s two really good reasons to only create one lesson plan every 6 weeks (or 10 weeks if you run your classes every 10 weeks).
Creating a new yoga lesson plan for every class means your students never get their “groove on”.
Creating a new yoga lesson plan for every class means your students don’t have time to learn anything because you’ve giving them something new in every class. If you teach from the same yoga lesson plan for 6 or 10 weeks they get to groove some of the sequence and mental/emotional teachings into their DNA.
So, trust me on this one. Your students want continuity for 6 or 10 weeks.
That means resisting your A Type Personality (got to be the best at everything you do) urge to create a new yoga lesson plan every week.
Time to click the Pause Button. If you’re an A Type Personality, please read the above section several times.
Read the above section a few times…I’ll be here waiting for you.
Welcome back. You’re ready for step 2.
Step 2: Yoga Class Themes
Morph into existence an interesting yoga class theme
There in an infinity of yoga lesson plan themes you can choose from.
Below are 34 free downloadable yoga lesson plans (within 10 themes) that I’ve created for my own yoga classes using the Online Drag & Drop Yoga Genie Lesson Planner. Feel free to use them for your own yoga classes, or as inspiration to come up with your own yoga class themes.
Body Part Focus Themes
Chair Yoga Themes
Nature Yoga Themes
Peak Pose Yoga Themes
Quirky Yoga Themes
Sports Yoga Themes
Yoga For Seniors Yoga Themes
Yoga Style Themes
Yoga Therapy Themes
Step 3: 101 Yoga Lesson Planning Ideas
Have a brain storming session
Click here for 101 yoga lesson planning ideas which covers the following seven categories for coming up with creative yoga lesson plans: theme, peak pose, group of postures, muscle type, key point, body area, and quotes.
The only rule to coming up with a creative yoga class plan is that there is no rule.
Allow your imagination to roam free!
At the end of a 6 week yoga course, I allow myself time to brainstorm a new “theme” for my next 6 weeks of yoga classes. This brainstorming time can take anywhere from 5 minutes (if I get lucky and stumble across a theme quickly) or 5 hours. Though, my 101 yoga lesson planning ideas will save you time.
I also love picking up a book and flipping through for ideas. To show you what I mean, I’ve just randomly picked up a book from my bookcase and scanned for sentences and words that popped from the pages. The book I picked was called: Journey Into Power: How to sculpt your ideal, body, free your true self, and transform your life with yoga (it didn’t have to be a yoga book though).
The Journey Into Power book is packed with emotive, rich wording. So, the theme ideas I came up with (see bullet points below) were almost all “emotional IQ themes”.
- As We Think & Act, So Our World Becomes – The Dhammapadda (emotional IQ theme)
- Be In The Now And You’ll Know How (emotional IQ theme)
- Bumblebee: With my heavy body I shouldn’t be able to fly, but with light in my heart I find a way (bumblebee theme)
- Empty Your Mental and Emotional Cup (emotional IQ theme)
- Exceed Yourself To Find Your Exceeding Self (emotional IQ theme)
- Forgive & Let Go (emotional IQ theme)
- Journey Into Power (warrior yoga theme)
- Sculpt Your Ideal Body (core yoga theme)
- Sculpt Your Inner Body (yin yoga theme)
- Stop Chasing The Illusion (emotional IQ/yin theme)
- Stumbling Upon Your Path To Bliss (emotional IQ theme)
- Sweat And Serenity (yin yang theme)
- Think Less, Be More (breath awareness theme)
- Transcend Your Boundaries And Grow (emotional IQ theme)
- Uddiyanna Core Stabilization (muscle type theme)
- Unlearning Negative Patterns (emotional IQ theme)
- We Are Either Here Or Nowhere (emotional IQ theme)
Step 4: Yoga Lesson Planner
Use the Yoga Lesson Planner
Open up the Drag & Drop Yoga Lesson Planner that’s included within The Yoga Teacher Lesson Plan Kit and create the yoga lesson plan quickly and easily. Or, if you love creating yoga lesson plans from scratch with pen and paper, do that.
I do both.
95% of the time I use the Drag & Drop Yoga Lesson Planner because it saves so much time.
5% of the time I draw yoga stick figures using pen and pad.
Step 5: Keep Enlarging Your Yoga Lesson Planning Brain
Below are 1001 yoga lesson planning tips on my blog…to help enlarge your yoga lesson planning brain
That’s it. I hope you enjoyed this EPIC post. If you’re interested in the Drag & Drop Yoga Lesson Planner and have any questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- 1001 Yoga Class Planning Tips & Handouts For Yoga Teachers - July 15, 2018
- Yoga Anatomy 101: A Crash Course For Yoga Teachers - June 6, 2018
- Marketing Tactics For Newbie Yoga Teachers - April 28, 2018
- A Sticky Note Guide To Being A Yoga Teacher: Beware The Treacherous Yoga Teacher Training Canyon - March 22, 2018
- How To End Your Yoga Class On Time Every Time: My Easy Peasy Formula Revealed - January 29, 2018