How To Teach Wheel Pose (Dhanurasana)
Teach The Sanskrit
Here’s a great way of remembering dhanurasana by using the memory tricks of memory champions.
Imagine your friend Dan (dhan)…
…saying errrrh (ur)…
…as you drive your chest up into a spectacular wheel pose. Dan puts a big wheel underneath you when you’re in the pose.
You can create your own bizarre and wacky story to remember Dhanurasana. The more bizarre you make it, the easier it is for your memory to recall it. Another trick is to use all your senses. Smell the dirty wheel. Feel the wet mud on the wheel oozing through your shirt (wheel is under you). If you know someone called Dan, imagine doing the wheel pose in his kitchen. The more connections you can make, the easier it is for your memory to recall it.
Teach The Philosophy
Explain to your students the philosophy behind Dhanurasana. You could say something like: Dhanurasana allows you heart to soar like a hawk.
Teach The Benefits
Explain a few of the benefits. You don’t have to give them all.
- Gives the spine a complete stretch from top to bottom
- Increases energy
- Stretches chest & lungs
- Strengthens arms & wrists, legs, buttocks, abdomen & spine
- Stimulates thyroid & pituitary
- Therapeutic for asthma, back pain, infertility & osteoporosis
Mental & Emotional Benefits
- Keeps you open to new possibilities
- See the world from a new perspective
- Flexible mind-view
Quick Teaching Tips
- Feel your heart soaring like a hawk as you rise up.
- Imagine the floor is made of metal and you have magnets under your feet.
- Don’t be in a rush to go up.
Teach A Counter Pose
A good counter pose is Child Pose.
Teach Something New About The Pose
I love watching other yoga teachers teach on YouTube. It’s a great way of looking at a pose from a new perspective.
Here’s one to get you started.
Get The Drag & Drop Yoga Genie Lesson Planner
OK. You got me. This isn’t a step, but if you’re a yoga teacher its well worth taking a quick peek at the Yoga Genie Lesson Planner.
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- 1001 Yoga Class Planning Tips & Handouts For Yoga Teachers - July 15, 2018
- Yoga Anatomy 101: A Crash Course For Yoga Teachers - June 6, 2018
- Marketing Tactics For Newbie Yoga Teachers - April 28, 2018
- A Sticky Note Guide To Being A Yoga Teacher: Beware The Treacherous Yoga Teacher Training Canyon - March 22, 2018
- How To End Your Yoga Class On Time Every Time: My Easy Peasy Formula Revealed - January 29, 2018