Yoga Lesson Planning Clinic
How To Teach Cat Pose
Learn The Sanskrit
Marjaryasana = cat pose
Marjari = cat
I’ve learnt how to remember Sanskrit names of poses by using a fun, easy to use memory trick. The trick is to create a bizarre story. The more bizarre the easier it is for the brain to remember. For example, here’s the bizarre story I whipped up…
I imagine myself knocking at the door of my Mum’s house (she has a cat). When she opens the door, instead of giving her a hug, I go straight to her fridge and get a tub of MARJArine (sounds like MARYAryasana) and a knife and spread it all over her very fluffy Norweigan CAT. When my mum rightly asks me when I just put MARJArine all over her CAT, I tell her it’s the latest way of preventing hair lose for CATs.
Teach The Benefits
Cat Pose develops concentration and awareness when you mentally visit the spaces between each of the vertebral joints to mobilize them.
- Lower back
- Menopause disorder
- Menstrual disorder
- Sexual debility
Teach The Steps
1) Start in neutral position with wrists under shoulders and arms shoulder width.
2) Pull navel into small of back & arch back.
3) Tuck chin to chest & move slowing back/forth.
4) Repeat several times.
Click here to watch a video of cat pose.
Spice It Up
Spice it up with some variations of Cat Pose. After all this pose can get a bit boring.
Do Cat with Cow Pose for a flowing vinyasa.
Raise left leg and right arm and then raise right leg and left arm.
Bring head to knee.
Tuck toes under (so you’re on your tip toes) and hover 2 or 3 inches above the floor. Now do cat pose (the students will need to activate their core more to do this pose).
Save Time With Your Lesson Planning
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- 43 Meditations In One Yoga Class Handout: Free PDF Download - October 10, 2017
- Free Downloadable Caterpillar To Butterfly Themed Yoga Class Plan (PDF) - October 8, 2017
- Free Downloadable Sun Moon Themed Yoga Class Plan (PDF) - September 26, 2017
- Free Downloadable Sun Salutations Chair Yoga Lesson Plan (PDF) - September 12, 2017
- Free Downloadable Yoga for Cyclists Lesson Plan (1 of 3) - August 18, 2017