Yoga Lesson Planning Clinic
9 DIY Yoga Props
To Use In Your Yoga Classes
I think props are great.
- Props help us conserve and replenish energy
- Props make difficult poses more accessible
- Props allow us to stay in poses longer
- Props help create space in the spine & joints
- Props help prevent injuries
9 DIY Yoga Props
BOOK (YOGA BLOCK)
Ask your students to make their own yoga blocks by finding some books they no longer need. Approximately 5 books can become a yoga block. They can be tied together with ties (which can also be used as yoga straps).
Ask your students to roll their BLANKET into a bolster.
CHAIR (BALANCING POSES)
Ask your students to use a chair for balancing poses. Most village halls, etc have lots of chairs.
DICTIONARY (YOGA BLOCK)
Ask your students to bring a DICTIONARY (or YELLOW PAGES) and use it as yoga block.
JUDO BELT (LONG YOGA STRAP)
Ask your students to find a Judo belt at their local charity shop (or on eBay). Judo belts are really long. They are great for wrapping around yourself when doing seated forward bends. If the student wants to go deeper in the forward bend, they can adjust the strap.
TENNIS BALL (WRIST SUPPORT)
If you have a student that has weak wrist, ask them to cut a tennis ball in half and bring it to class. They can use them as wrist support.
TIE (YOGA STRAP)
Ask your students to bring a TIE to class to be used as a yoga strap. Or go to your local charity shop and buy a bunch of ties and give them to your students.
Ask your students to bring a towel to class and ask them to roll it into a bolster.
TOWEL (YOGA MAT LINING)
Ask your students to bring a towel to class. They can use it under their yoga mat. This is great if you’re yoga classes are held in village halls with cold, hard floors.
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- Yoga Therapy: Free Downloadable Yoga For Asthma Lesson Plan - April 24, 2017
- The Yoga Sequence Flow Formula Revealed - March 24, 2017
- Webinar Wednesdays | Unleash Your Yoga Lesson Planning Skills - March 23, 2017
- Free Downloadable Restorative Yoga Lesson Plan (PDF) - February 26, 2017
- How To Teach Cat Cow Pose To Kids: Includes Video & Downloadable Handout - February 20, 2017