Free Downloadable Pregnancy Yoga Class Handout: Side Lying Pose
This is 1 of 250+ yoga class handouts included in the Yoga Teacher Lesson Plan Kit.
Free Pregnancy Yoga Class Handout
Side Lying Pose Handout | MS Word Version
Side Lying Pose Handout | MAC Version
Side Lying Pose Handout | ODT Version
Side Lying Pose Handout | PDF Version
Side Lying Pose
- Lay on your left side
- Rest top arm along body
- Bend top knee
- Rest head on bottom arm
* all side-lying poses are practiced on the LEFT side, to avoid pressure on the vena cava vein, which moves blood from the uterus to the heart.
- Trains you to relax which is an important part of labour.
- Practice focused breathing and clearing the mind.
Pregnancy Yoga Tips
Yoga Poses To Avoid During 1st Trimester
- Twists (can cause or aggravate extreme nausea).
- Any poses which over-stretch the lower abs (can prevent the fertilised egg from embedding in the early stages).
- Standing still for any length of time (reduce blood pressure can cause dizziness and fainting).
- Strenuous poses.
Yoga poses to be avoided in the 2nd trimester
- Lying supine the legs straight when the bump begins to swell (can cause compression of vena cava, affecting blood return from legs, causing dizziness and restricting blood flow to the baby).
Yoga poses to be avoided in the 3rd trimester
- Anything strenuous (don’t hold poses for too long).
- Lying supine
- Deep squats (may affect the optimal foetal position).
- Squats (if the baby is breech).
Yoga poses to be avoided at all times
- Jumping (too much stress on the cervix).
- Double leg lifts (too much stress on the abdominals/lower back).
- Back bends (too much compression on the lower vertebrae).
- Over stretching (ligaments & tendons soften during pregnancy but will not rebound if over-stretched).
- Inverted postures (can cause compression of the placenta, which may interrupt the flow of oxygen to the baby).
- Holding the breath (restricts flow of oxygen to the foetus).
More Yoga Class Handouts
If you liked this handout, you may like my other free handouts…
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- Free Core Yoga Lesson Plan Theme: 12 Weeks To Sculpt A 6 Pack (No Crunches!) - June 20, 2017
- Free Downloadable Core Yoga Themed Lesson Plan - June 17, 2017
- Yoga Therapy: Free Downloadable Yoga For Asthma Lesson Plan - April 24, 2017
- The Yoga Sequence Flow Formula Revealed - March 24, 2017
- Webinar Wednesdays | Unleash Your Yoga Lesson Planning Skills - March 23, 2017