Yoga Lesson Planning Clinic
How To Teach Purvottanasana
Intense Eastward Facing Stretch
Teach the philosophy
Explain to your students the philosophy behind purvottanasana. You could say something like: “As the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, the east is considered the direction of new beginnings and unlimited potential.”
Teach the benefits
Explain a few of the benefits. You don’t have to give them all!
- Strengthen core
- Strengthen back, triceps, wrists, back, and legs
- Stretches your shoulders, chest, and front ankles
- Counter to forward bend
- Keeps you open to new possibilities
Quick Teaching Tips
- Point fingers towards body = less open shoulders = wrist flexor stretch.
- Point fingers away from body = shoulders more open = greater chest stretch.
- Have someone press the outside of your arms inward to stabilize elbows.
- Push through your thumbs and big toes.
- Avoid hardening buttocks.
- Firm shoulder blades against your back.
- Fight gravity from pulling your head down by keeping it elongated.
- Keep a slight chin tuck as you lower crown of head towards floor.
Teach the Counter Pose
A good counter pose is dandasana.
Watch A Video Tutorial
Watch videos of other yoga teachers teaching Purvottanasana. Here’s one to get you started off. You can then head off to youtube.
Take A Peek At The Yoga Teacher Lesson Plan Kit
Save time creating yoga lesson plans with the 15 Minute Yoga Lesson Planner.
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- New Sun Salutations Category Added To The Yoga Genie Lesson Planner - August 10, 2017
- FREE Downloadable Kids Sun Salutations C Yoga Lesson Plan - August 10, 2017
- Yoga Therapy: Free Downloadable Yoga For Varicose Veins Lesson Plan - August 8, 2017
- Free Core Yoga Class Plan Theme: 12 Weeks To Sculpt A 6 Pack (3 of 3) - June 24, 2017
- Free Core Yoga Lesson Plan Theme: 12 Weeks To Sculpt A 6 Pack (2 of 3) - June 20, 2017