Yoga Lesson Planning Tip Of The Day
How To Teach Wheel Pose | Dhanurasana
Here’s a great way of remembering dhanurasana by using the memory tricks of memory champions.
Imagine your friend Dan (dhan)…
…saying errrrh (ur)…
…as you drive your chest up into a spectacular wheel pose. Dan puts a big wheel underneath you when you’re in the pose.
You can create your own bizarre and wacky story to remember dhanurasana. The more bizarre you make it, the easier it is for your memory to recall it. Another trick is to use all your senses. Smell the dirty wheel. Feel the wet mud on the wheel oozing through your shirt (wheel is under you). If you know someone called Dan, imagine doing the wheel pose in his kitchen. The more connections you can make, the easier it is for your memory to recall it.
Explain to your students the philosophy behind dhanurasana. You could say something like: dhanurasana allows you heart to soar like a hawk.
Explain a few of the benefits. You don’t have to give them all!
- Gives the spine a complete stretch from top to bottom
- Increases energy
- Stretches chest & lungs
- Strengthens arms & wrists, legs, buttocks, abdomen & spine
- Stimulates thyroid & pituitary
- Therapeutic for asthma, back pain, infertility & osteoporosis
- Keeps you open to new possibilities
- See the world from a new perspective
- Flexible mind-view
Quick Teaching Tips
- Feel your heart soaring like a hawk as you rise up.
- Imagine the floor is made of metal and you have magnets under your feet.
- Don’t be in a rush to go up.
A good counter pose is child pose.
Learn Something New About The Pose
I love watching other yoga teachers teach on YouTube. It’s a great way of looking at a pose from a new perspective. Here’s one to get you started off.
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- Free Core Yoga Lesson Plan Theme: 12 Weeks To Sculpt A 6 Pack (No Crunches!) - June 20, 2017
- Free Downloadable Core Yoga Themed Lesson Plan - June 17, 2017
- Yoga Therapy: Free Downloadable Yoga For Asthma Lesson Plan - April 24, 2017
- The Yoga Sequence Flow Formula Revealed - March 24, 2017
- Webinar Wednesdays | Unleash Your Yoga Lesson Planning Skills - March 23, 2017