How To Teach Sphinx Pose (Bhujangasana) Using Symbolism: Includes Sphinx Yoga Class Theme To Make Your Class More Memorable
Sphinx: Greek Mythology
In Greek mythology the sphinx is a winged monster of Thebes, having a woman’s head and a lion’s body. It propounded a riddle about the three ages of man, killing those who failed to solve it, until Oedipus was successful, whereupon the Sphinx committed suicide.
Sphinx: Egyptian Mythology
A figure in Egyptian myth having the body of a lion and the head of a man, ram, or hawk.
A great way of bringing something special to a class is to weave “imagery” into it. The list below will give you some ideas for a memorable yoga class theme.
- Courage of a lion
- Facing the truth
- Heart of a lion
- Lion hearted
- Mysterious person
- Oedipus Complex
- Puzzling person
- Self Discovery (Egyptian sphinx discovered under tons of sand)
Sphinx Yoga Class Theme
OK…time for an example.
After looking through the “Sphinx Symbolism” list above, you choose the “Facing the truth” theme. Facing the truth can be a supremely difficult task. It’s a lot easer to see the illusion and takes courage to seek the truth. The Egyptian sphinx was discovered under tons of sand. That can be the basis of your theme. At the beginning of your class you could say something like…
“Today’s theme is Facing The Truth and our Peak Pose is sphinx. The Egyptian sphinx was lost for centuries under tons of sand. Maybe at the end of this class you’ll uncover something in your life where you subconsciously bury your head under the sand to avoid the truth.”
Lie on belly.
Firm tailbone toward pubis.
Buttocks firm but not clenched.
Tongue, eyes, brain quiet.
Set elbows under shoulders
Forearms on floor.
Lift upper torso and head away from floor into a mild backbend.
Bring awareness to lower belly.
Draw belly away from floor.
Slowly release to floor.
Turn head to one side.
Bhujanga = “snake” or “serpent”
Asana = “posture” or “seat”
- Strengthens spine
- Stretches chest, lungs, shoulders and abdomen
- Firms buttocks
- Stimulates abdominal organs
- Helps relieve stress
- Release tension with each exhale
- Back Injury
Latest posts by George Watts (see all)
- Free Core Yoga Lesson Plan Theme: 12 Weeks To Sculpt A 6 Pack (No Crunches!) - June 20, 2017
- Free Downloadable Core Yoga Themed Lesson Plan - June 17, 2017
- Yoga Therapy: Free Downloadable Yoga For Asthma Lesson Plan - April 24, 2017
- The Yoga Sequence Flow Formula Revealed - March 24, 2017
- Webinar Wednesdays | Unleash Your Yoga Lesson Planning Skills - March 23, 2017